If Jesus walked the earth today, what kind of candidate would he approve in this 2016 presidential election?
Jesus wasn’t a stranger to politics. In fact, His followers expected to crown Him the new King of Israel. His grand entrance into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday was supposed to be the catalyst leading to the overthrow of the oppressive Roman government.
Instead, Jesus was crucified and buried.
Had His followers and disciples misunderstood Scripture, or was He truly not the promised Messiah?
The answer came resolutely on the third day. After His resurrection, they understood the key: God’s timing. Jesus Messiah would rule and reign on the earth when He returned at His Second Coming.
Which brings us to the presidential election of 2016. How would Jesus evaluate our two candidates?
Let’s compare them against Proverbs 6:16-19.
There are six things which the Lord hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil, a false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers (NASB).
1. Haughty Eyes: Vast wealth and power open the door to associations with some of the most important people on earth, political or otherwise. If you feel you are better than everyone else and above the law, you look down your nose with disdain at others. This is underscoring the abomination of pride, which is the sin that brought down Lucifer.
2. A lying tongue: A pathological liar consistently lies, refusing to admit the truth in face of the facts. If a liar is President, do you think that person will continue by lying to the American people? Can we entrust that person with our country? The Bible tells us God has prepared an extra-hot place in the Lake of Fire for this abomination.
3. Hands that shed innocent blood: What is more innocent than the blood of an unborn infant? Which candidate believes in preserving the right to abortion right up until the ninth month of pregnancy? Which one believes abortion is wrong?
Abortion tampers and forever changes our human biological footprint, resulting in permanent cultural abnormalities. Think of the millions of Americans who are not here today because their mother’s womb was invaded by forceps or salt solution that murdered them alive.
How old would those babies be today? In 2016, the oldest would be forty-three and could run for the office of President. Considering our current candidates, could it be that those who should have been here—aren’t?
Think of all the Washingtons, Reagans, and other great statesmen, the Einsteins, the Gallileos and other great thinkers and inventers who aren’t here. Remember all the men and women of all professions and walks of life who weren’t allowed to live. Their children and grandchildren have left a huge hole that their lives should have occupied. Three generations of families erased with the stoke of seven pens in the Supreme Court are the consequences of this abomination.
4. A heart that devises wicked plans: To scheme for one’s own personal gain through the sacrifice of the innocent is one definition of this abomination. To befriend our global enemies and make enemies of our global friends is another sign. Our democratic freedom may be lost to Socialism or Communism as our country falls into political slavery.
The office of President is to serve the people, defend the Constitution as written by our forefathers, appoint Supreme Court Justices who will uphold our laws (not legislate new ones at will), and defend and protect our borders and citizens from foreign invasion.
Only God can fully see the heart, but we can still evaluate its wickedness by a person’s words and actions.
5. Feet that run rapidly to evil: A person who desires to engage in evil activities is a threat to America’s well-being. For example, desiring war and not peace, robbing Americans who have worked and saved all their lives to give it to illegal aliens in exchange for illegal votes—there’s so much more. We cannot know the full answer here, but consider the multitude of revelations from the news and WikiLeaks as further proof of feet that run rapidly to evil.
6. A false witness who utters lies: Who consistently lies under oath? Who twists and turns the truth around in face of the facts that prove it true? Who “can’t remember?” That, too, is a form of lying. According to our Constitution, lying under oath is perjury, and the law says those people are to be incarcerated
7. One who spreads strife among brothers: Strife is the opposite of peace. We mustn’t live in civil war with our American brothers and sisters. Anyone who hires instigators to start riots at the opponent’s campaign rallies is guilty. Destroying race relations will take us back to the turmoil and strife of the 1960’s.
In summary, here is the kind of president Jesus would want to see in the White House in 2017:
• Jesus wouldn’t want a prideful president.
• Jesus wouldn’t want a liar to be president.
• Jesus wouldn’t want a president who believes in abortion.
• Jesus wouldn’t want a wicked president.
• Jesus wouldn’t want a president who devises evil plans.
• Jesus would want a president who tells the truth under oath.
• Jesus would want a president who unites the nation with love, not divides it with hatred and lawless rioting.
We won’t have a perfect earthly ruler until Messiah, Jesus Christ, returns to set up His kingdom on Earth.
But in the meantime, the choice is clear. As Christians, we must vote for the godliest candidate and then trust our sovereign God with our nation’s future.
Our nation cannot be saved by a man, but God can use the right man to save our nation.